Hello and welcome! Today I wanted to talk about carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates or carbs get a bad rap all the time! Let’s get started.
Here’s what you need to know about carbs.
Carbs are your body’s preferred source of energy (fuel) for your body’s many metabolic functions.
There are 2 types carbs: simple and complex carbs.
The 2 simple carbs are monosaccharides which is the simplest and most basic unit of a carb and there is disaccharides. These simple carbs include:
- Glucose – this is the predominant carb and the most basic building block of most carbs
- Fructose – fruit sugar
- Lactose – glucose + galactose – found in dairy products
- Sucrose – glucose + fructose
- Maltose – glucose + glucose – malt sugar
Complex carbs – oligosaccharides and polysaccharides
Oligosaccharides – are 3 to 10 simple sugars
- Fructooligosaccharides – category of a type of oligosaccharide found in fruits and vegetables
- They help with constipation, improve triglyceride levels and decrease the smell of your by-products
Polysaccharides – 100s of monosaccharides
- Fiber – 1.5 to 2.5 g per calories – the reason why fiber is important is because it improves your digestive health and cholesterol levels
- Starch – plants and grains, there are 2 types – amylose and amylopectin
- Glycogen – animals and humans produce this and it is made in the liver
More about fiber:
Functional fiber – isolated and non-digestive, typically added to foods
- Claims to – improve gastrointestinal symptoms, weight loss, reduced cholesterol, and colon cancer prevention
Dietary fiber – naturally found in certain foods – there are 2 types:
- High viscosity – soluble – slow gastric emptying when it is mixed with digestive juices and it becomes gel like causing fullness
- Low viscosity – insoluble – increase your fecal bulk and provides a laxative effect
After reading this, do you know a little bit more about carbs and why they are important for your body? Especially fiber.
Are you looking for a balanced meal plan that is going to help you become healthier and more knowledgeable about nutrition? —-> Fat Loss Meal Plan