If you haven’t already read John C. Maxwell’s “How Successful People Grow” go get the book now! It’s a short read.
In his book he talks about 8 gaps that will not allow you to grow.
- The Assumption Gap – “I Assume That I Will Automatically Grow” – When we are kids our bodies automatically grow. For some reason, it seems people subconsciously believe that their mental, spiritual and emotional growth work the same way. This is far from true. Personal growth doesn’t just happen. “If you want your life to improve, you must improve yourself”.
- The Knowledge Gap – “I Don’t Know How To Grow” – Many people seem to like to learn the “hard way”. Instead of learning this, decided what you want to learn. Choose what you want to learn. What do you want to do? Who do you want to be? Make a list of the things that will help become that person. If there is something you can do in that list now, go do it! When you start working towards who you want to be, you will find that doors will start opening for you. More opportunities open up.
- The Timing Gap – “It’s not the right time to begin” – Whether you are ready or not, NOW is the time. Even if you don’t FEEL like it. If you don’t get started you will never grow.
- The Mistake Gap – “I’m Afraid of Making Mistakes” – Growing can be messy and you will make a ton of mistakes along the way. People don’t enjoy making mistakes but it’s part of growing. Mistakes need to be taken as a growing opportunity and not something that is negative. Your attitude needs to change. “A mistake is simply another way of doing things” – Warren Bennis. You have to expect mistakes and see them as a sign that you are moving in the right direction.
- The Perfection Gap – “I Have to Find the Best Way Before I Start” – Many people will wait a lifetime to do anything because they are waiting for the “perfect” moment to get started. If you sit around and wait for the “perfect” moment you will never get anywhere. You will be stuck. If you start slowly and progressively you will find that more the your future is revealed as you go. So, don’t wait for the “perfect” moment. JUST GET STARTED.
- The Inspiration Gap – “I Don’t Feel Like Doing It” – Even if you don’t feel inspired to start working on yourself, the benefits outweigh the reasons to not start growing. You will start seeing results IF you stick with it long enough. Make it a goal to stick to personal growth for 12 months. After 12 months look back and see how far you’ve come.
- The Comparison Gap – “Other Are Better Than I Am” – There will always be others who know a little bit more about you. This is great! You know why? Because you can reach out to these people and learn from them. There will always be someone who knows more than you, the thing is not comparing yourself to them. They took time to learn what they and so will you. Don’t be discouraged, continue learning and you will be just fine!
- The Expectation Gap – ” I Thought It Would Be Easier Than This” – I can’t think of a successful person who thinks that growth comes quickly and climbing to the top is easy. It just does not happen. Here is the formula:
Preparation (growth) + Attitude + Opportunity + Action (doing something about it) = Luck
It all starts with preparation.