- Balance – Life is all about balancing what is good or bad for you. The same goes when it comes to nutrition. Get the right amount of the good things and try to limit the bad things that can have a negative effect on your health.
- Calorie Control – It’s not all about reducing calories. More important is getting the adequate amount of calories based on how you structure your life to keep you working effectively and efficiently.
- Moderation – You can eat almost any food in moderation but make sure that you are only eating foods that may effect your health in small amounts. For example, you can eat a donut once in a while for breakfast but don’t make it a habit.
- Variety – Eating the same foods over and over gets boring. Make sure to add variety to the your nutrition by adding different types of veggies, whole grains and meat.
- Adequacy – Make sure you are getting all the essential nutrients you need to maintain your health and replace what is lost during the day.
“Remember, there are no bad foods, just healthier ones to eat regularly. Weight loss requires a commitment to change your lifestyle. Keep up the exercise as it increases your metabolic rate and helps maintain your muscles, which burn more calories than body fat does.”
Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Extension Nutrition Associate
Ohio State University
Nutrition does not have to be a hard, grueling task. If you start with these 5 steps you are well on your way to making better nutrition choices. Interested in a customized nutrition plan made just for you and your goals? Click here for 4 weeks of nutrition. I also have 8 and 12 weeks. Check out my store here.
Leave a comment if you have any questions about nutrition! I am here to help!